Thursday, January 6, 2011

Another Anniversary

One and all,

30 years and counting. Yesterday, Polley and I celebrated 30 years of marriage (privately we acknowledge the other 7 living in sin). Seems like only yesterday that so many of you were part of our 25th bash at Everyday Wine. Actually, it doesn't seem that long ago that Polley and I were in England, along with our good friends, the Bradens, to tie the knot is a civil ceremony (the reception was less civil) in Grantham, England. Grantham is known as the home of Margaret Thatcher and was once vowed the most boring town in England. On 5 Jaunary, 1981, I can assure you it was not nearly so monotonous. This year, in old Mexico, it was a quiet day. In 1981, the day was bright and sunny in Grantam, but it must have been 35 degrees with a wind-chill factor of 28. That accounts for Polley squinting her eyes in all the outdoor photos. The weather here in Puerto Vallarta, not surprisingly, was perfect. It has been relatively calm in terms of wind with the temperatures holding steady around 80.

The day did not begin with much of sense of celebration. We did the normal routines of each morning here. For those of you who know us well, you will be surprised that we are getting up at 7:30 or 8 in the morning. A cup of coffee and a quick check of overnight e-mails, usually from soap companies, food services, and some daily word from an anonymous Bible ministry is the first thing. Not much happening apart from an intimate relationship with the delete key. I have recovered from the flying and have gotten back into walking. My brother and his wife arrive on 18 January and for the last two days I have been trying to find the condominium complex they have reserved. As my brother would say, I seemed to have the "son of a bitch surrounded," but could not make an exact location. Yesterday, I found it! Actually, I located the base of it. After climbing about 100 steps up the side of a hill, I found the front entrance. Needless to say, I don't think Polley and I will be coming to their place for drinks. The ad my brother found for the place said it was 100 yards from the beach. That may be true. However, to make it accurate, I believe you would need a good long running jump from the balcony, and if you were able to clear the satellite dish on the building in front of his, you just might hit the sand!

Anyway, with that mission accomplished, Polley and I decided to make our first trip down to the beach (more than a 100 yards). WE slowly strolled along, enjoying the variety of tourists. As I am sure I have mentioned in years past, PV attracts a conglomeration of types. At some point in our walk to the beach, we paused for a beer and an opportunity to allow the masses to pass by us.


WE did eventually arrive at our favorite beach, about noon. It was surprisingly quiet. People we have talked to have mentioned that the season thus far has been slow. Certainly, the beach seemed to confirm those rumors. We have our customary Margarita and quietly read out books. I highly recommend "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Sionson. Polley enjoyed it and as I close in on finishing it, it is high on my list as well. After 90 minutes or so, our perfect Anniversary Day became slightly less than perfect as the wind picked up. So, we picked up as well and headed back toward home with another stop for a beer, of course. A bit of lunch of salsa and shrimp ceviche and we found the bed calling us to siesta.

WE awoke refreshed and the winds had died down. We read and relaxed until about 7:45, when we headed down to our favorite spot, Vitea, for an anniversary dinner. WE started with a little sparkling wine and then had some old favorites. Polley had a delicious Pumpkin Soup while I had an octopus, chorizo, potato dish. We shared a Bistro Salad and then, the nice people offered us an anniversary champagne on the house.

I am not sure if it was that it was our anniversary or that while sitting there, we reserved a table for every Sunday night while we are in in PV. Either was, it was a perfect (night)cap to the evening. We staggered up the hill and dropped into bed, feeling very satisfied with the day, and, now that I reflect on it, the last 30 years as well.

No comments: