Sunday, January 10, 2016

A Happy Ending

Dear Friends and Family,

When last I reported to you, Polley and I had just enjoyed a wonderful evening at Casa Kimberly, the former home of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, as we celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary. 12 hours later, the symbol of that commitment had vanished and there were moments of real devastation. Have your attention? I hope so.

The next day, with the sun shining and the brilliant blue sky bringing everything into sharp perspective, Polley and I headed for the beach. We settled in with a couple of cold Pacificos and I adjusted my chair to catch a few rays of the sun. It had been cloudy for several days, this was the first real opportunity to work on acquiring a little bit of color. As it got warmer, I decided to go into the ocean, something I almost never do, certainly not in any serious way. I was feeling a slight quiver of my inner teenage surfer. After a few minutes, I discovered that the was determined to reveal me as an aging 68-year old. So as I extracated myself from the sea, a good-sized wave tossed me about. I quickly righted myself and returned to the comfort and safety of my chair (and my beer!). Within a minute or two, I discovered that my wedding band had come off! As I was about 25 pounds heavier in 1981, the then tight fitting band had, over the years, fit rather loosely and I was constantly battling to keep it on. Last Wednesday, I lost the battle. I was devastated! We searched in searched, but to no avail. The tide was coming in, the surf was pounding and it was lost! After an hour or so, reluctantly, we headed home, stopping off for a bitter tasting margarita.

The next morning, ever the optomist, I was at the same beach as the sun came up. Of course, no luck! I trudged back home, determined to somewho replace the ring. At lunch, I mentioned the situation of our very good waiter/friend, José. Within minutes José had run across the street to the local mercado and soon returned with Pépe, a local jeweler. He looked at Polley's ring and said that he could make a copy. He would get a quote from the designer and we were to meet him at 5 pm. This was Thursday. At 5 we returned, Pépe had the quote. We agreed and he said that it would be ready Saturday. Saturday!? Only two days. Incredible!

Last night, at 5, we returned and the result was miraculous!

It was a perfect match

 

Tragedy averted and marriage saved! The other nice part, from a purely practical standpoint, it was all in pesos! With the American dollar so strong, it was not nearly as hard a hit to the pocketbook. However, regardless of cost, it was going to be replaced. So last night, we celebrated a bit, sitting out on the Malécon, watching the sky celebrated our good fortune.

More soon!

 

No comments: