Saturday, February 4, 2012

Beginning To Step Out

One and all,

I'll try to keep the medical report (or as friends of ours down here refer to it, my "organ recital") to a minimum. Each day I get a bit stronger. Thursday was the 6th week since I was struck. I am walking a bit further each day and yesterday was able to walk from our apartment all the way to the beach with no stopping.We, again, strolled the north end of the Malécon, about half a mile with minimum stops. The day before we had gone south on the Malécon and joined some friends on the beach for a couple of beers before catching a cab back for lunch. As soon as I able to get around fully, the cab business in PV will go into the tank.

Days continue to be pretty simple. We spend the morning in the apartment reading and catching up with e-mail and the news of the world. We are now getting in a substantial walk each day. That, I think is most important. I have series of morning exercises and then the walk. Beause of our limitation in getting to a grocery store, we have eaten lunch out most days. We just join Jose, Raphael and the gang at the bottom of the hill. Really nice people and it is a fun and active atmosphere.

Wednesday night we joined Neal and Judy Higgins for dinner at a new place called Bistro Balsamar. Good Mexican food. We hit Nacho Daddy's on Thursday night for a drink with our Victoria B.C. friends and some music. We were supposed to join them again yesterday and go up the river to El Rio BBQ, but Polley and I had had so much socializing that the prospect of meeting a couple of groups of friends yesterday just seemed more than we could handle. So, we took the afternoon off before joining our Oregon friends, George, Pat, John and Molly and I new spot called Uncommon Grounds.


It has been there for years, but we had just never managed to stop in. It is a very unique place. While the name might lead to believe it was an Oregon coffee shack, it's decore is a strange mixture of East Indian, Asian, and Middle Eastern. You can sit on cushions and have drinks, some delectable desserts or for those of you into Aroma Therapy(!), they can accommodate you as well. It is run by two women from New Jersey and their menu is just what you might expect. From their Mama's pasta recipes to wraps and salads, the food is good although the titles of the dishes are little "woo-woo" for me: Atlantis Salad, Aurora Wrap, Tibetan Tang, with all sorts of herby teas. Actually, Polley and I shared the Atlantis Shrimp Salad. It was a presentation to behold.


It was excellent. We finished it off with a fancy dessert and just as the 6 of us strolled out the door, promising to return soon, a cab arrived for Polley and me, almost as if we ordered it. Lovely evening and soon I see Polley and I strolling home without the aid of a cane or a taxi. More soon.

No comments: