Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Cane Mutiny!

One and all,

Well I realize you just heard from us, I must report that yesterday I went the whole day withOUT the cane! A red letter day for sure. It has been a life-saver, but you do get tired of carrying it around. One sign that I was healing, was that I begin to forget it in restaurants. A clear sign that was no longer dependent upon it. I had targets Polley’s birthday for my recovery and, I hesitate to say that we may come close to that date. It, of course, will have been 7 weeks tomorrow since I awoke to find myself crippled, from what cause, I still have no idea.

We had a lovely day yesterday. We walked about two miles along the Malécon. They have closed off traffic completely there now and it is a wonderful pedestrian walk way. We strolled back to La Fuente for some margaritas (a fitting Mexican drink of celebration) and lunch. Then up the hill.

As we were heading up to our place, I came across these two fierce defenders of private property.


These are the two newest members of the canine family down the hill from us. The other dog, who is heading away from the camera is one that we call “the fierce dog.” He used to act fierce, but his bark is not only bigger than his bite, it is bigger than any part of him. He has been around since we started coming down 5 years ago. Sadly, the years have taken their toll as he is nearly blind and, I think, totally deaf. He still, in his own way, continues to patrol the property.

About 3 in the afternoon, we took a cab (still not up to walking clear across town, cane or no cane) for a visit with our friends, Ray and Mary Anne Sander, affectionately known as “the Dancing Couple.”


They had invited us to their lovely apartment in the Zona Romantica. And lovely it was, with a rooftop pool and gym with a stunning view of the bay. Their one bed room apartment was also very nice, a slight step up from ours. Of course, as Ray told us, they are paying $2800 a month and we pay $550. One might expect a difference. Nevertheless, we enjoy our place and the price allows us to stay for extended periods of time .

From the apartment, we walked to a place they enjoy for Happy Hour. It is the Coco Tropical. Polley and I knew of the place, but had never been there. It is a nice setting and now that we no longer have Época for our nightly sunset fix, Coco Tropical may become our new evening watering hole. We had drinks and some nice conversation. We have decided that Ray and Mary Anne are collectors of people (they collected us, didn’t they?). Last night we met a new friend, Hank.


This is not a very good photo of him as they sun was streaming in. However, Hank, who is now from New Hampshire is a fascinating guy. Born in Germany just after the war, he then lived in Poland before coming to the US at about 4 years of age. His parents worked hard in manual labor, but managed to raise the family, put the kids through school and motivate them to be successful. Nice man and I hope we run into him again.

Anyway, it was a good day, especially san cane! I will still take it slowly, but I am hopeful. I will probably continue the Ibuprofen through the weekend and then try weaning myself off of that. Time will tell, but it is encouraging. More later.

No comments: