Sunday, September 7, 2014

If at First . . .

Dear Friends and family,

Well, yesterday, I was determined to climb the hill across the way and see the liitle church which you might just be able to make out in the center top of this photo (see circled area - isn't that a neat trick!)


So, I started off with the best of intentions and the highest of hopes. I had arranged for Polley and Angela to wave to me from the apartment as I proudly planted the Bowen family flag at the highest most point. Alas, it was not to be. An old Greek farmer with a word of English for each tooth in his head was determined to send me another way. Not wanting to impose my captalist will on him, I followed his advice (as I understood it) and, consequently, failed in my first attempted assault.
What I did manage to accomplish was to make my way completey around the hill. As my brother is fond of saying, "I now have the sum 'a bitch surrounded." And, of course, there is always something to see - Sisi from another different angle

And a look to the west to Malia and Heraklion. Also enjoyed a bit of rural farm life

However, today was another day. I took it upon myself to ignore the farmer and take the road of most resistence. It is, not surprisingly, a steep climb, but there are some wonderful homes and magnificent views. Here I am looking back across the valley and the circled bit is our apartment as seen from near the top of the hill

Eventually, I make it to the top and catch the church in the morning sun

It sat in the middle of a courtyard,

But unfortunately it was locked and I was unable to view the interior. With a quick climb up on to the wall, I did get another great perspective on our little village and the sea beyond.

After viewing and photographing every possible angle which, of course, confirmed my conquest, I began to make my way back down. I did catch a somewhat last distant view of the chapel

And then contined on down, giving me an impressive view of the valley to the south,

as well as the southwest

So, it was with some sense of accomplishment that I completed my little journey, looking for new challenges through the fields and orchards of the Sissi valley

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: