Monday, May 11, 2015

Meanderings along the Malécon

Dear Friends and Family,

Not much new to report. That is the way we like it. However, we have not been hermits, exactly. So, I thought it might be fun to just throw together a collection of a few impressions that have ended up in my camera the last few nights. They are not particularly special, but as we now move inside of 3 weeks until we return to Oregon, they may just be a bit more treasured as the time slips away. It seems a long time until December when we will visit them again.

Yesterday, of course, was Mothers' Day. It is celebrated here in PV as well. Actually, as you see the displays in the various small grocery stores, the choices appear to reworked Valentine's Day offerings. I did manage to shine for a few minutes by returning from my morning walk with a dozen roses.

I do hope you aren't so blinded by my vision of lovliness to not notice the vase. The woman who owns the place seems to be fascinated by laboratory gadgets. With the long-stem roses, I was forced to reach a high shelf for this huge beaker. It was only after filling it with water that I discovered it was the tomb for former resident of the place

So, Polley got two gifts for the day.

We have been getting down to the Malécon pretty regularly for sunset. We just sit quietly and watch the world pass by. With the exception of Saturday and Sundays, it is very quiet. We are often the only table in the place - tough time to be a waiter in PV right now - and watch the Mexicans drift up and down the oceanside walk way. Occasionally, there is a change in the rhythm. As when these cute little girls came dashing along, posed and then shot off to the next thing

They had there 15 seconds of fame with the crowd and then vanished.

Another moment, as I was sauntering over to capture another dramatic sunset, I caught this little queen lording over her plate for French fries

You could use of up endless computer chips trying to capture all the cute kids in Mexico.

And while we are on the subject of sunsets, there have been some good ones lately. The other night I strolled a bit north from our regular location at Restaurante Roberto's. I had forgotten the variety of sculptures that are up that direction. There is this wonderful Dolphin fountain

It has been a bit tempermental as some days it is closed down and others it is going full tilt. The other night was a bit of good luck

it was not only bubbling, but changing color as well

From there I drifted a bit further to the famous "Arcos" of PV.

There is an amphitheatre there as you can see and there is a show there nearly every night. It is a major gathering spot for crowds as the sun begins to leave us for another day.

Lastly, as I was on my walk this morning, there was another strong impression, nearly opposite of the dramatic sunsets. As I came down the south end of the Malécon, moving quickly past a number of beachside cafes that shades the beach in the early morning hours from the sun. Suddenly, I came around a corner and the sun poured down a side street in the shockingly clear air of morning , I was confronted with the pier.

I pass it nearly everyday, but somehow it was particularly striking this morning. It implored me to capture it -- I did.

It seems had to believe that after 8 years of travel to this town there are still moments to preserve. These were a few in the last few days. I will continue to keep my eyes peeled.

 

 

No comments: