Sunday, May 17, 2015

Two Weeks and Counting

Dear Family and Friends,

It is two weeks today that we turn our minds and our luggage toward home and, like always, we begin to feel ready. The weather here is warming up, about 89 yesterday and the nights are not cooling off a great deal, which compromises sleeping. So, I think May is the latest you want to be in PV.

This week I was struck with the feeling of loss. When you come back to a place year after year (8 years for us now), you begin to recognize the locals, or if not locals, those that seem to visit here about the same time you do. You don't know them by name (at least, not usually), but you acknowledge one another as you pass them each morning, about the same time, on the Malécon or in the stores or at the cafes. It is usually no more than a tip of the head, or a wave of the hand. These last 6 weeks I was aware that a couple of these folks were missing. Further investigation discovered that in each case they had died. While not knowing them, I sincerely felt a sense of loss, that PV would not, for me, be quite the same.

I didn't even know the name of the one fellow, but he and I walked about the same time and would see each other out at the point at the end of Malécon. I was usually enjoying a cup of store-bought frijoles while this fellow had stopped at the local convenience store and bought a Tecate beer. We laughed at our separate indulgences.

The other fellow we did have a speaking relationship with. His name was Norm. We was rail-thin, darkly tanned and was clearly the living embodiment of the "Vietnam Vet." We learned that he lived out at the Marina, but came into town each day, either in his pickup or on the back of his Harley. He then proceeded to hold down a bar stool for nearly the remainder of the day, sipping on a cold Pacifico. When I inquired about his missing and they told me he had died, the bar had put up a memorial to Norm, with his picture and a small plaque supplied by the Veterans Assocication. Obviously others missed Norm as well.

The past week has been pretty low-keyed. We managed to maintain our regular routine. Trying to savor the last few weeks to Paradise. With the warmer days, the sunsets on the Malécon were becoming quite stunning.

I continued my fascination with silhouettes against the bright background. I managed to capture this bandito as he awaited another photo-op and another 5 or 10 pesos

Actually, the Malécon was quite active with Mexicans this week. The Gringo population continues to dwindle down to a precious few, but the food carts seem to be thriving. I caught this table of sweets last night

Speaking of food, when we have lunch each day at La Fuente, I have always commented on the number of people who, faced with a plethora of Mexican delicacies, end up having a "Club Sandwich." So, this week, in an effort to better understand my fellow travelers (and to try and work my way through the entire menu), I had one as well.

I begrudgingly admit is was very good! Of course, with the fries, it ended up as two meals, but I could see its attraction.

The Malécon also provided me with this Pelican airforce passing over Roberto's just before sundown

All in all, a very nice week. Just two more to go and we will do our best to savor each moment, but it is easy to take this life, and these sunsets, for granted

 

No comments: