Sunday, January 22, 2012

Baby Steps

One and all,

As my brother reminded me just moments ago, I have been out of touch. It is not that I am any worse, it is just that I find that by the time I have gone down the hill and back up twice a day, there is not a lot of energy. That doesn't even count that which is expended in the shower. HOwever, on this the one month anniversary of this dreaded attack, I can report some improvement. AS the Title suggest, baby steps, but there is discernible progress . . . I think!

We are venturing a bit farther, albeit by taxi. Last Thursday evening we made it half way down the hill when a cab wandered by and we were able to take it to Nacho Daddy's, a local, lively restaurant with live (and loud) music. We met up with Ray and Mary Anne, the dancing couple from Vitoria along with Gene and Gay, a lovely Southern couple from Atlanta that we met right at the end of last year, and a new acquaintance, Reg, a wheat farmer from Winnipeg. Very nice fellow. Also we again found Bobby, our Scottish flute player. It was great to see them all again, but the thing I hate about Nacho Daddy's is that it is so loud that it is hardly conducive to conversation. Nevertheless, it was great to reconnect and did serve as motivation to get us out of the apartment.

Friday was a baby step backwards. For no rhyme or reason, it was a tough night and a rather painful day. While we did make it down to our regular haunts, it was not fun. There are still what we refer to brief periods of suicide contemplation! Fortunately, at my age, they fade before I can remember where I hid the gun!

Yesterday was a good day, Mother May I take two steps forward! Very little pain and two easy trips down and back up the hill. Again, we caught a cab yesterday evening for a new place, La Luna. We went there because we had heard from Reg that our favorite bartender in the world, Hannah Blossom (can you believe that name) was working there. And, indeed, she was! What a lovely person. She was the bartender at Epoca and in this new place, the chef from Epoca is the chef there. Reg joined us and, in fact, disappeared after secretly buying our dinner! Reg is in his 50s I would guess, never married and just hangs about PV for 5 months and then returns to plant and harvest his wheat. Neat guy, but as a single gentlemen seems to always feel he is horning in on us couples. Not true. We enjoy his company, and, I am sure for Polley, that after me being flat on my back for a month, she is thrilled to interact with someone new. We will catch up with Reg soon and pay him back for his kindnesses.

The weather continues lovely. Much warmer than last year at this time. Going to try going even further down the hill tonight to our favorite place, Vitea. I will, I am sure, have more to report on that tomorrow.

Ed and Polley

Saturday was a

No comments: