Monday, May 5, 2014

Update

Friends and family,

As we approach the third week anniversary of Polley's surgery, I thought I would bring you up to date. We saw the doctor last Tuesday and while we were hoping for good news, we generally got little or no news. An x-ray was taken and revealed a giant metal "7" in her hip. However, there must be some "settling" in the joint before any healing can start. Also, they don't want it to "settle" too much. So, we wait. That is what we have ton"settle" for.

Polley has had a good deal of pain and was liberally taking oxycodone, but the last couple of days her need for that has subsided. Tylenol is her friend, but not the hard stuff. I have noticed today that as she gets in and out of bed, she seems to have a bit more strength in her injured leg. She can lift it into bed without the support of her hand. That seems a positive. However, it is going to be a long road. People ask me how long. My answer is that the doctor issued us a handicap parking pass with an expiration date of July 30th! That might be a clue.

Thanks to all of you who have expressed concern and best wishes. Polley's morale is pretty good and your thoughts certainly help. In between my ongoing nursing assignments, I will try to give you updates. Thanks to all.

 

Ed

No comments: