Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Better Late than Never -- I think

One and all,

My tardiness in posting this blog may indicate a day that was less than the most exciting. However, I did want to assure you that all was well.

Yesterday, Monday, was a windy, but lovely day. I did my morning walk with the idea of getting some artisan bread. I had my mouth all set for some Olive Bread, but upon arriving, I found a note saying it would be closed and apologizing for the inconvenience. While disappointed, my spirits were soon were raised by passing a small restaurant that was also apologizing for not being open. However, their signed matter-of-factly explained that "the chef was drunk; opening in late afternoon!"

Polley and I did our morning chores, sent a couple of e-mails and then headed off to the beach. Two days had passed and we had not placed our bronzed bodies beneath the glorious sun. We sat and read and I jumped in an out of the ocean. The breeze was a little cool and when wet, you did indeed need to be in the sun. After two margaritas worth of time, we surrendered to the breeze and the growing crowd (also the noise, as one fellow proceeded to tell every moment of his previous weekend, with a voice that would cut through glass. We abandoned the beach and headed back to the apartment for lunch, stopping at El Fuente del Puente, our little "dos vasos de vino blanco" at the bottom of the hill. Had a few words with José and just relaxed and watched the tourists who lunched and then jumped back on the bus returning them to their cruise ship.

Afternoon was just reading and relaxing. Early evening we strolled out to the Malécon and headed north. We stopped into Las Palomas for a drink and proceeded to listen to an angry American girl get manipulated by a devil of a Mexican boy. Although I was no more than 4 feet from them, the seemed to have no qualms about sharing their entire relationship with me. It was like an early evening soap opera!

We had had a late lunch and didn't want a full dinner so we headed back to Candela which is quickly becoming a favorite spot. We had drunk there quite often, but had never had their food (except for the now famous Candela dip that we have served nearly everyone we know). We had one of their wood-oven baked pizzas, half Margarita and half Mediterranean. Really good. Very light crust with wonderful rich flavors. Could only have about half - rest no doubt will be tomorrow's lunch.

HOme about 10 pm, for a nightcap and some more reading. A very lovely, easy day.

Ed and Polley

No comments: