Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Simple Day

Dear faithful,

For those of you who live vicariously through our adventures, I hate to inform you that yesterday you had a pretty boring time. Not to complain! Don't misunderstand. After the whirlwind of the anniversary, yesterday was just a calm, relaxed day. Did take the morning walk and, I think, have now established myself as one of the regulars, as people tip their cap or give me a hearty "Buenos Dias!" After finishing up that part of the day, Polley did her first e-mails of the trip, mostly getting back to people from whom we had received Christmas wishes and gifts. About 11 am we headed off to the beach. It was breezey, but still quite comfortable. I did notice that when you came in from the ocean that the air was cool enough that you needed some direct sun to dry off and stay warm. Once dry, it was very comfortable to just lounge under the umbrella, interrupting your reading from time to time to sip on the straw of your margarita. I will say that Ritmos Beach has the best margaritas in town.

Came home around 2:30 p.m. and for some strange reason I was hit with some sort of stomach bug. I spent a good deal of the afternoon in the fetal position. The irony is that we have made more of a concerted effort to drink bottled water and brush our teeth in it this time. How times in afternoon when I was fine, others when I was not. By about 7:30 pm I was in pretty good shape (and quite hungry) that we thought we would go down to Cafe Candela for a light something. We looked for something light that would not upset my delicate tummy. I had an order of "Dedos de Pollo." Everything in the Candela menu is in Spanish and the help has no English as well. However, I did recall some earlier vocabulary and realized it was "Fingers of Chicken!" I knew about the lips, but had little or no experience with their fingers. So I risked an order of them. They were battered (I have heard of battered women, but battered chicken!) and fried within an inch of their tiny little lives. Polley had an asparagus dish that was much more successful.

Anyway, a little food and a little wine and we headed back up the hill, hoping for a better day. Read for awhile, shared a beer and turned in. Nothing of great consequence, but I had ridden out the intesteneal tsunami, reading for another sunny day.

Ed and Polley

No comments: