Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Little to Report

One and all,

Life simply seems to chug along. Believe me, that is not a bad thing, but for regular readers of these ramblings, it is less than fulfilling.

The weather continues to change as the humidity seems to be dropping and there are more breezes. Last night, we wandered down to the Malécon for a half bottle of wine and a sunset. It was quite spectacular, the sunset, not the wine! Did talk with fellow that we have seen there a number of times. His name is Dennis and he lives not too far from us. He told us, when he learned the information, that he was surprised that we were Americans, largely because we were not fat! I think it was a compliment. We also joked about the tight-fistedness of Canadians. He said that the difference between a Canadian and Canoe, is that the one tips!

After the sunset, we walked up the hill to El Patio Es Mi Casa, a local haunt that we pass nearly everyday. I sent a photo a few days back. Very lovely setting, nice people and excellent pizzas. Last night is was 2 x 1 sangria and pizzas. We now have enough leftovers for a week.

Finishing up the topic of food, Monday evening we ventured to a little Italian place that we had tried a couple to times in the past. It is called Bocca de Vino. Very plesant little place. As an appetizer they served us some toasted bread and the most delicious garlic pesto spread. Fabulous! We immediately held the chef hostage until he revealed the recipe, which he did. After that, Polley had a very tasty seafood soup that was loaded with mussels, shrimp, clams and octopus. I had a portobello mushroom in a balsamic reduction topped with goat cheese and walnuts. It too was excellent, but very rich! We will have to add this place to our regular stops.

Polley is much better. It turns out that the problem, we think, was an intolerance to ibuprofin! Someone had recommended it to her. She started taking some and her stomach problems seemed to start about the same time. She stopped and voila!

However, it am now the one who is dragging a bit. We have been getting to the beach each morning for an hour or so. Somehow, with the sunshine, the light breezes and the tepid water, I was feeling 25 again. It did not take long, yesterday for cruel Mother Nature to remind me that in reality I am going on 67. While pulling myself from the sea, a wave caught me sideways and I seem to have pulled a back muscle. Now I truly do walk like I nearer to 70! These are the vagaries of travel. It will pass, but in the future I will keep my distance from that siren of the sea. More soon.

No comments: