Thursday, October 17, 2013

TIME FLIES

One and all,

Well, I must apologize once again for not being more regular in my missives. I know it might be hard for those at home to believe that time seems to just fly away in this tropical paradise, but it does! Yesterday, with every intention of writing a blog, just seemed to disappear. Between our obligations to helping the Mexican economy recover, to tag along with our landlord on some meaningless errands and getting a bit of reading under out belts, the day was gone - and still no blog. Sorry.

Life has not been too different in the last few days. We have been frequenting Roberto's and getting to know the new waiters since the re-opening. Bruno is a very charming guy who works days, with Nasario working in the evening. We have made it a quite regular stop for a glass of beer or wine and a sunset.

Last night was probably the best since we have been here. Also, the weather is beginning to change (we think!). Mornings are slightly cooler and once the sun goes down, the evenings cool off as a nice breeze comes up. Last night felt almost like an evening in February or March. However, on Tuesday night, we went to El Patio (full name: El Patio Es Mi Casa - The patio is my home), which was re-opening for the first time since we arrived.

It is always one of our favorite haunts, for two reasons: 1) it is a lovely, largely open air venue; 2) it is on the way up to our place and we must pass it nearly every evening. It is so pleasant to sit up on the upper level, under the stars and enjoy the cool breezes the play through the place. However, on Tuesday night, it was nearly unbearable. After walking up the hill from the beach, with quite a gust of wind pouring down Calle Guererro, the air suddenly seemed to disappear and in the stillness, the temperature and the humidity seemed to continually rise! We finally had to flee.

Yesterday, was a pleasant morning. I did a bit of grocery shopping. Actually I did a bit more shopping than I had planned. They were offering wine and tequila, 3 bottles for the price of 2! How can you pass up such deal. Of course, you do have to carry it all home! That was a bit of a chore. However, I gave myself a bit of a rest with a "Frijole Break"! Ley Mercado has the best frijoles. When I shop, I often buy a little plastic tub of them and then pause out on the point of Bandaras Bay and partake of the fruit of the bean.

As this "selfie" indicates. Ah, the simple pleasures!

I mentioned our assistance with the Mexican Economy. Well, as Polley and I sat there enjoying the wine and sunset last evening, we figured that we had helped four waiters, 5 musicians (three of whom are seen here)

We have gotten to know these guys over the years and they have played for Polley's birthday a number of time. We tease each other and I try to hire them at least once a week. They are very good and for 100 pesos you make another good connection with the Mexican people. We hired two groups yesterday, and that does not count the mirimba player who plays regularly at La Fuente and who I have on a regular retainer - 100 pesos a week. He gets his tip whether we are there or not.

I am not sure what has changed my thinking down here about tipping. While my reputation may be that of a poor tipper, that is not really true. I have always been the 15% guy and for places that I visit regularly, it is likely closer to 20%. Down here, I am really trying to come closer to 25%. Gratuities are so important here. Our friends, Ricardo and Arturo, waiters at Langosta Loca told us that they have been working for a salary of 70 pesos a day. That is about $5.40. Everything else is dependent on tips. I am glad to report that there little cafe has recently undergone a change of ownership. The new owners doubled their salaries: 150 a day. Still, they work from early in the morning sweeping the sand and arranging the tables (which yesterday a high tide completely wiped out and they needed to start all over), and they serving for at least an 8 hour day. With things so slow right now, I can't think they are making a great deal over the salary during this slow season. That gave me a new perspective on what I can do to help improve the lives of people we really enjoy. We are trying! Perhaps, if you come here, you can help as well.

So for now, I will leave you with that thought and see if we can find some new adventures in the days to come. One of our favorite restaurants re-opens on Friday, so I hope we can share some experiences with the wild group at Miel.

 

No comments: