Thursday, January 2, 2014

Still Stuck

Good friends and family,

Well, I was hoping to show you blue skies, sandy beaches and the colors of Mexico. However, thanks to the "unfriendly" skies of United, we are still in nearly colorless Oregon. Last night, less than 12 hours befor our scheduled flight, and after having confirmed the flight, United called to tell me our San Francisco to Puerto Vallarta leg was "cancelled"! Yes, that's right, "No Go"! However, not to worry, I was just to call this special 800 number and reschedule. No problem. Ha!

For the next 55 minutes I listened to about 500 variations on Rhapsody in Blue! I never go a live voice. So I went on line and grabbed a slight for midnight tonight through Houston, getting into PV Friday at noon. However, we are not done. This morning, when I tried to get seat assignments, there were none available, unless I wanted to buy extra leg room for $62 each. So I tired to call again, being told that my wait would be 3 minutes. 35 minutes later, still having never reached an actual person, I hung up. Then when the confirmation e-mail arrived and I filled out the information, it then told me the flight was overbooked and they would give us $200 travel certificates if we would reschedule. Of course, to do that, you have to go out to the airport, prepared to fly, and wait. So, . . . I drove to PDX.

Arriving at United/PDX, there were about 150 people in line. They had no service rep available. Finally, I got a nice United baggage handler who went behind the counter to see if he could get me any more information. All he managed was another 800 number. So I tried it and found that it sounded very much like the recording I had now listened to for more than 90 minutes. So, while I waited, having been told the "expected wait time" was 10-15 minutes, I headed to the car with the line still open. 25 minutes later, I arrived home, and still no one had come on the line. Unbelievable!

So, while my head is raging, I am cooling my heels. We plan to head out to the airport tonight and see what the next chapter holds. Stay tuned. Hopefully, our next installment will be from down south, at least as far as Houston! Happy New Year to all and we will connect soon, just remain on the line

Ed and Polley

No comments: