Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Friends, Family and Fair Skies

Dear One and All,

Well, I am back to a bit more regular schedule. The cold seems to be moving on -- to Polley, I believe. Sorry! I will say that recovering from a cold is more enjoyable down here than it is at home. Sun power is a remarkable thing! So, with my energy back, I thought I would go back and catch everyone up with last few days.

Thursday evening we had the pleasure of taking our waiter friend, José, and his wife, Esperanza, to dinner. We took them to one of our favorite places, Naranjo. It actually is near where the Flores live, but is a very different setting that the one they would normally go to. It was a very nice evening and we seemed more successful this time to include Esperanza, who has nearly no English. But where there is desire, there can be communication. I caught the two of them and Polley as we left our meal,

Esperanza had had a birthday the weekbefore, so the plant was our belated gift.

In my title to this blog, I mentioned family. My brother, Dave, and his wife, Katie, arrived on Sunday. They will be in PV for a month as they try the extended vacation. We always enjoy them and after meeting them at the airport and getting an over-priced cab into town, along with letting them settle in, we met on the Malécon for dinner at Vitea. A good meal and a inice time watching all the tourists and locals wander up and down the Malécon.

I will admit that this photo is not too flattering. My brother looks jet-lagged, Katie is lifting margarita #1 to all of us, and Polley appears been sneaking a few behind our backs. Anway, it should be a fun March with those two in town. It also was nice, that after two months of bragging and blogging about sunsets, that we wintnessed one of the most spectacular on their first night here

The colors in the sky were marvelous, but as the sun went down, as so often happens, the real show began

As I often preface my display of photos, these were not re-touched in any way. It was this intense

Another Turner painting in the making

If you look closely, you see the moon beginning to appear in the upper center of the picture

It just seemed to go on and on. I would take a photo and then sit down, only to be forced to take another. Quite a first night for the other Bowens.

 

Monday we got back into the routine. We headed down to the beach. On our way across the island, we ran into my favorite PV dog. He belongs to a gardener on the island. They are best of friends

Very handsome and playful with a great set of ears. I will try for a closer picture in the future. When we arrived at the beach, the tide was way up and the waves were incredible (and a little scary).

It is difficult to capture the scale, but we had a couple that broke and came all the way up into the restaurant. We have learned to keep all our belongings on chairs and the table, as you just don't know when another rogue wave will strike.

Last night, with the routine firmly re-established, we were down at Roberto's for some wine and another sunset. Dave and Katie wandered by and joined us

and we waited for nature's sky show

It wasn't bad, but was much softer and less intense than the previous night. As I tell Polley, that's why you come down. It is nearly always a good show, but with a certain amount of variety.

It was nearly a perfect evening. Very little breeze, warm, balmy temperatures, just delightful. Polley and I wandered up to El Patio for another of those delicious, very flavorfu Minerva beers -- this one called ITA. Had a nice talke with Ivan and then headed up the hill. I had made some arugula soup and we had that for dinner. It was really delicious. So, life has returned to normal. It is fun to have some family hear to pal aorund with, but it was also nice to return to our comfortable haunts. We have a surprise birthday party for José tomorrow. I hope at give you a feel of that fiesta when next we connect.

 

No comments: