Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Busy Day

Dear Friends and Family,

As with most people's Mondays, the plan for ours was busier than usual. While I say busy, I mean we had a kind of schedule, which is all honesty is something we try to avoid.

I got a good walk in, but even that was goal oriented. We were trying to locate a place that sold plants and my morning walk was a sort of scouting expedition to locate the place. Our waiter friend, José, had given me some rough directions for the place so I went up into the Mexican part of town. Alas, no luck. But more about that later.

When I returned, we began to get ready for our outing. Polley continues to look for a specific pair of sandals, brass-colored and black. We had discovered that a store we had visited the day before had a second location. So we headed to The Unicorn. On our way, we were waylaid by a Time Share Guy, "Oh Horrors."

This fellow was hilarious. He asked me how long I lived here and I said 6 months. This he begins to chew me out for not speaking Spanish. At roughly 90 miles an hour, he follows us down the street doing a sort of Don Rickles string of insults. Very funny. In fact, so funny, that I had to go back and take his picture, which he predicted I was going to send to the FBI. No doubt, he is successful at what he does.

Around the corner was the shoe store. Closed! Despite saying that they opened at 11 they were closed at 11:15. Ah, Polley "ensemble" will have to wait another day.

Then it was the on to the plant store. As we began our day, we stopped back to see José, who confessed that he had misled us a bit on the store's location. With a new set of directions, we walked up into the Mexican part of town and did find "Jardin de Eden," a narrow slit of a store that is actually the front alleyway into the owner;s home. We were looking for a plant as the day before we had learned that the La Fuente manager, Aurora, who we had not seen for several days, had fallen down the stairs in her home and broken her leg. José was going to see her today and we wanted give her a plant as a kind of "get well" gift and let her know we were thinking of her. Polley picked out a very colorful plant and for 35 pesos (!) it was ours.

Having walked a good deal in search of various items, Polley and I caught a cab back to La Fuente to celebrate our success with lunch. The day before we had scene a couple order a Caesar Salad at La Fuente and it looked fabulous. So we followed suit and it was very good. As I may have said before, the Caesar Salad is actually a Mexican invention, although the man that invented it, Caesar Cardini, was an Italian immigrant, he was working in Tijuana when he invented it (Thanks Wikipedia!) Anyway, the La Fuente Caesar was romaine, but with onion and finely diced red and yellow bell pepper and a very savory dressing. Excellent.

Then, as you no doubt guessed, it was siesta time. We didn't nap for long, but the good part of that was that we got a very nice block of time to read. My endless book is demanding an hour or two of solid reading. We got that yesterday.

Polley and I retreated to Roberto's for some wine and the sunset show. Last night, although the weather was cool, the skies were clear and we got "AFGPS."

I also managed to capture another "Mexican Entrepreneur." This fellow, in a remarkable feat of engineering, manages to appear as a "descending angel," seemingly floating in the air.

It was sort of funny. After I took his photo, he sneezed! Suddenly I found myself blessing an angel. You don't get that opportunity every day.

With the sun gone, the "bird nightclub" closed down, and the wine gone, Polley and I made our way halfway up the hill and stopped in at "El Patio." We always enjoy the staff there and try to make an excuse to see them 2 or 3 times a week, if only for a brief stop. Then the rest of the way up the hill as our cats were anxiously waiting for us. They with their chicken and us with our tequila spent a happy hour before falling into bed. Tuesday, March 12th will mark three weeks until we are to come home. That, of course, means that you will be receiving these written interruptions to your day just 21 more times!

 

No comments: