Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Day of Just Wandering

Dear Family and Friends, Sorry for the format change, but my ipad blog program does not seem to work. So, having said that, let's move forward. My cold still has me down a bit, so I will gain make this relatively brief, trying to say more with pictures than with words. Anyway, most of you know the routine and yesterday offered little variation on a common theme. As we needed a few things at the store, despite the cold I took an abbreviated walk. At the far north end of the Malécon I paused for a photo of this sculpture. I was most taken with the big bird at the very top. What a view! After trudging up the hill, Polley and I turned right around and headed down to the beach. On the way, I caught Polley with another man, a bandito, no less. Then, once I had pried her away from the "stinkin' outlaw," we crossed paths with another of Jim Demetro's sculptures (he, from Battle Ground, Washington) that we both love. It is called "Señor Lavando" and is an interesting contrast to the huge new condominium complex that sits right behind it where I would guess very few inhabitants do their own laundry. I no sooner had taken the photo, than we turned around and saw this Mexican family feeding a new born puppy with a baby bottle. Very cute! Let's hope he makes it. We did finally get to the beach. While there we befriended Alfredo, a vendor on the beach who sells tablecloths and blankets. While I say we befriended him, a certain cynical side of me thinks it might have been the fact that we agreed to buy 3 tablecloths from him next week. Polley believes she can make curtains from them for the back bedroom. We shall see. We also stopped another vendor as we seemed determined to assist the Mexican economy, all in one day! We stopped a very chatty fellow and sampled his jicama. With some mystery sauce, some chili powder and freshly squeezed lime, it was delicious. It may become our new taste treat, here and at home. We did our usual margarita stop at La Fuente, and there they lavished us with free gifts: there delicious "Curtido," a mixture of pickled carrots, onions and cauliflower; as well as their wonderful, newly improved salsa. We went up the hill with two courts of Mexican delicacies. After lunch (we hardly knew what to eat first) and siesta, we headed off to meet our Atlanta friends, Gene and Gay, at their favorite place, "The Cheeky Monkey." We are not great fans of the place, or perhaps I should say of their watered down margaritas, but it is a great place to watch a sunset. The place always finishes off the sunset with a recording of "Time to Say Goodbye." Very schmaltzy, but effective. We then took Gene and Gay to a place we do like: El Patio. They were not familiar with it (very few gringos are) and had a nice evening of pizza, a little wine and some beer. NOt too eventful a day, but as you can see, plenty of visual stimulation.

No comments: