Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Return of Beautiful Days

My title might be said to imply that things here have been pretty awful. If you have been following my notes, you know that is not true. However, Friday was gray and kind of strange for PV. Yesterday was a wonderfully typical PV day. In fact, I thought I might best reveal how lovely it was with this photo of Lucy and Kira.

Now if those aren't two "comfortable cats," I have never seen ones. I continually try to use our cat friends as role models for my siestas!

The day was really very easy. I got a good walk in, which included my daily adventure at the Mexican grocery store. Having stuffed myself on frijoles yesterday, as I wandered through the always intriguing deli section, I was drawn to the beans again. So, after purchasing a small container of the Mexican "nectar of legume," on my walk back home, I stopped at a point that looks out at the bay and had my Mexican breakfast. Delicious!

Upon return, Polley and I did our regular rounds. We spent an hour at the beach. As I said a couple of days ago, things have gotten very quiet. We sat at Langosta's for an hour and were the only customers they had. However, when we stopped for a margarita at La Fuente, they were quite busy. They tend to get tour customers and while the cruise ship industry has shrunk, the bus tour crowd still seems to be coming to PV. The tour busses pick up their load of people right in front of the restaurant, so it is a good place for people to grab lunch or, at the very least, a quick, cold drink.

We lunched in with some delicious roasted chicken that I had picked up at the store. WE try to get one meal our of the bird before the cats devour the rest. With the cats as role models, Polley and I had a good long and very sound siesta. About 6:30, we headed down to Robertos's as the sun and clear skies made us optimistic about the potential for the sunset.

Within a few minutes of arriving at the cafe, we became aware of the opening of the bird nightclub. About 30 minutes before sunset, this tree, just north of the cafe, becomes filled with birds.

They sing at the top of their lungs for about 45 minutes and then, just as suddenly as they began, they stop. The nightclub is closed and all is still. Very amazing.

Sunsets are always fascinating. When you are someplace to watch them on a regular basis, you begin to understand the fascination of someone like Monet with capturing the same scene again and again, as the weather conditions and resulting light gave endless variety. Last night was clear and it appeared that it was going to be a classic, Hollywood sunset. However, a band of clouds right at the horizon provided an opaque veil that masked the last dramatic few minutes. But, as so often happens, the reflection of the disappearing light from over the horizon provided a very theatrical surprise.

It was most surprising because the color in the sky was off to the north rather than at the point of the sun's departure or to south as usually occurs. Anyway. it was dramatic and totally unexpected.

I have talked before about how poor many of the Mexican people are. That desperation, however, often reveals the human entrepreneurial spirit. Last night a father and his two cute little boys entertained the Malécon crowds with the clarinet accompanied by snare and bass drums.

The little snare drummer was quite amazing and the kid on the bass drum hit it for all he was worth. Very cute, but thank god, that you can enjoy this as a silent photo. The sound was god awful. The primary problem is that the father is not a very good clarinet player and his children's percussive enthusiasm is not able to compensate. I think proprietors might very well tip them to move on to the next stop. However, as bad as they sound, they are very cute.

We managed to waste a good 90 minutes watching life pass by. We stopped up at El Patio for a brief respite on our climb to home. A little shrimp, a bit of wine and a tequila nightcap seemed the perfect ending to a very nice day.

 

No comments: